Last night I tooled around with a gift for my friend LK’s baby. LK is perhaps a bigger Buffy fan than I am; she owns all 7 seasons on DVD, whereas I stalled out at the first 3 (and she bought me season 3!). Now, I don’t know if the baby will be a boy or a girl, but I think she’ll like a Buffy-themed gift even if she has a boyâ€”maybe he’ll grow up to have all the good qualities of, say, Xander (but not the dumb ones).
So I knit up a baby-sized Mr. Pointy.
I’m also giving her this Buffy toy. This package cracks me up, especially because it “Includes Rocket Launcher, and Right Arm of the Judge.” (So this is early Buffy; season 2.)
I took notes while I knit up Mr. Pointy, in case someone else wanted to make one, but honestly it’s not something that really needs a pattern. Here’s a vague pattern for what I did, which took about an hour to do:
Yarn: Lana Gatto Wool Gatto, in brown (or pick whatever you have on hand)
Needles: US 3 circular for I-cord and magic loop (or dpns)
Stuff as you goâ€”it’s easier.
- Cast on 3 stitches; work I-cord for 5 rows
- Start randomly increasing stitchesâ€”don’t increase evenly around. A stitch here, a stitch there, maybe 3 here, 2 there. Be erratic.
- Knit even for a few rows between increases.
- On some increase rows, increase several in one spot and decrease (k2tog) a little later in the row. (Mr. Pointy is kind of gnarled when Kendra gives it to her; this makes the effect more erratic and gnarled.)
- Continue until it’s about 4 inches long, or the length you’d like. If you make it longer, keep increasing as you go so it feels proportional.
- Increase until you have an even number of stitches.
- At the end, k2tog around
- Knit one row even
- k2tog around
- k2tog around again, if you want
- Break yarn, draw through, and hide the end inside the toy.
I’m quite happy with the result, and it continues my budding trend of giving completely weird and seemingly useless gifts to expecting friends. I originally thought I’d be making a sweater or something else for this kiddo, but I’m going to see the parents this weekend at a wedding, and I wanted to give something now. Plus this is so LK-inspired, I have to do it!