an end and a beginning

I’d meant to post on Friday, with this post as my Eye Candy. But life ran away from me, and I haven’t had a chance to sit or think or even really breathe since Thursday. Here’s why.

On Friday, I bade farewell to my job of the last 7 years. I’ll be moving from this:

office

A small office on a quiet historic Philly street, to THIS:

new office

A ginormous glass-and-steel beauty in New York City. I’m . . . I’m . . . I’m moving to New York!

Needless to say, I’ve been going through a whole lot of inner turmoil. I love Philly, I love my apartment, I love my boyfriend, and I used to love my job. A new job popped up, it was perfect for me (the job description was like reading a personality profile), so on an impulse, I applied. I had interviews. And within three weeks they had offered it–and I had accepted. That was two weeks ago. Friday, when I’d meant to post about this, was my last day at work, and I was both busy and emotionally torn up. This weekend I visited my parents for some “corporate casual” clothing shopping. I am now in the throes of the NY apartment search–overwhelming, to say the least.

Knitting has been happening–I’m nearly done with the Pomatomi–and I do see myself using it as a calming technique in the next few weeks, as I search for the apartment, find one (hopefully!), pack up my life, divvy everything up with the boy, move, and start a new job. Those of you knitting New Yorkers, please tell me that I will find something I can afford, that I will love New York, and that I’ll have plenty of knitters to meet! I’m both totally excited to be moving and completley, gut-wrenchingly terrified.

22 Responses to an end and a beginning

1. Liz K says:

Congratulations and best of luck on your New York adventure. I moved to Philly a year ago, and it is so hard to move. They don’t call them growing pains for nothing. But you are growing.

2. Laura says:

Congratulations! Change is scary but your changes sound like the good kind of changes. Good luck with your new job and your new life in New York!

(what the new job? Something in editorial? I’m nosy.)

3. Laura says:

wow, congratulations! that’s amazing news. you need to talk to kate at a strikke! she’s in new york and is totally nice. if you don’t already read her blog, tell her that i told you to stop by.

Oh my gosh, this is huge! Congrats on the new job–that’s so exciting. But I definitely know all about the scary, with the new job and the moving and the leaving everything you know and love behind–you let me know if you need to vent!

5. Jessica says:

Congrats! New York isn’t so bad once you get used to it. :) I don’t actually live there, so I can’t say what finding an apartment will be like, but people do it all the time. You will find something! And if you ever want to meet up for knitting once you get settled, I work in midtown and would love to meet you! :) Best of luck with all the excitement!

6. Lolly says:

Wow! what a surprise! and just when I was trying to figure out when we could catch a Flyers game! :)

Congrats on the new job! It sounds like that worked out so well. I am excited for you. There is a great community in NYC, and some amazing shops. You are going to love it! I hope you will still make the frequent Columbia trips to visit the ‘rents… let me know when you will be in town next time!

7. Karen says:

Wow, talk about some major life changes. I know everything is going to be so wonderful though. I don’t know the NY LYS personally, but I’ve been wanting to check them out. I’m an easy train-ride from the city, so I’d be happy to come explore the knitting scene with you!!

8. Leigh says:

Congrats! How exciting! It is so great that you’re taking chance on something that sounds just right instead of stay somewhere that is just o.k.

9. Olga says:

How wonderful! Change is good, and it sounds like you’re getting your dream job. I lived in NY for seven years and they were some of the best of my life! I lived in Astoria for a while, which I highly recommend, but I know people who love Brooklyn, too (I lived in Fort Greene,which was great as well). I guess picking a place depends a lot on where you’re working. Anyway, good luck, and I look forward to hearing more about your new adventure!

10. Debbie says:

Congrats! I think you’re really going to love NY, and not just because the t-shirts tell you to. :)

On a side note – Holy crap, what is going on over there???

11. MeBeth says:

I love it here! You’ll definitely find a place to live, it just takes a few weeks longer than it would in most other cities. And I would be more than happy to give you a tour of our many LYSs!

12. Jennie says:

Congrats on the new job and new city… I understand the love of Philly, believe me I do. But sometimes change is good, especially when it involves something as important and a job. And New York? Damn. I lived there before I moved down to Philly. It’s an incredible place to live. Good luck with the apartment hunt and the move! Once you get settled, it will be great!

I must admit I feel overwhelmed just by VISITING New York — I can’t imagine moving there! But this is such an exciting opportunity for you that there’s no way you could pass it up, and once you have an apartment you’ll feel much better and be totally good to go. And then when I come to NYC on November 7, you’ll be totally settled in and have time to meet up with me! (Because this is about ME.)