Vestvember is still in full swing here, never fear—just because I finished my first vest doesn’t mean I’m stopping! The Honeycomb Vest is finished!
I didn’t deliberately pick the color because of its warm honey tones, but boy does it fit for this pattern! The yarn was leftover from my Mirage, and this was a great stashbusting vest.
Honeycomb Vest (Knitty / Rav)
My project page
Started: Friday, October 30
Finished: Saturday, November 7
Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool
Needles: US 4
Notes: I had some stupid weirdness with the “at the same time” directions for the front shoulders, and ended up with 1 too many stitches on both sides. At first I just decreased them away at the neck edge, but then I realized that this threw the pattern ever so slightly off, and it wouldn’t match up perfectly with the back. So I took it out and redid that.
I cabled without a cable needle but really wish I’d just done the “left cross” and “right cross” stitches, where you make a faux cable by working both stitches in a particular way. It would have been a lot faster. And if I’d done that I most definitely would have done the whole thing in the round; though mattress seaming two sides is not a big deal, it would have been really nice to have not had to think about that during the finishing.
One other word of advice for those making this: bind off in pattern. When I was redoing the front split I got lazy and just bound off in purl, and it made for a too-tall swath of knits on the right side. I considered duplicate stitching some purl bumps in later, but ultimately I just picked up for the neckline lower along the edge to hide it. I thought I could live with it, but it looked really awful. So just do it right from the get-go and learn from my lazy desire to finish quickly.
I’ve got 2 more vests I want to knit, so I’m not stopping anytime soon!