kid slique scarf is done

It didn’t even have time to be put into my sidebar as a WIP.

I’m in love with this yarn still. Odd to work with, but so so pretty to look at. The colors are far more purple than apparently can be captured in a photo.

kid slique scarf

I used the stitch pattern from “My So-Called Scarf,” which is nice and easy and makes the stitches visually interesting–good in a scarf where the metallics will catch the light. I took the day off today (monthly personal days are use it or lose it), so sat and finished it off in no time.

Size 11 Addi Turbos
20 stitches across
Knit until I’d used up both skeins (88 yds ea)
It’s exactly 6 feet long. A little long, perhaps, but whatever.

kid slique scarfI took these photos in the guest room because the light is brightest in there, but once I looked at them I realized that I was mimicking Laura’s shot in front of her Chinese scroll. (I emailed hers to dad for translation, but looks like Agnes came through, so nevermind!) I know what mine says, essentially. To see my full scroll click on the shot to the right. This is a traditional message that you’d send with a messenger upon receipt of a letter. From what I understand it basically means “Got it, thanks, we’re all good.” But the reason I have the scroll is because my Chinese name is a part of the saying. The scroll reads from right to left “Ju Bao Ping An” (I may be romanizing incorrectly), and my Chinese name is Ju Ping, which means Peaceful Bamboo (as in serene/tranquil bamboo). No one calls me this ever since my Chinese grandparents died, but it’s still a name I identify with. Dad had this scroll made for me in China, when he was there studying. It was a college graduation gift.

8 Responses to kid slique scarf is done

1. Laura says:

I love that scarf and that yarn!

I have a Chinese name, too. But I don’t know how to “spell” it with letters. Maybe Shaio Hong ?? It means Little Rainbow.

2. Mintyfresh says:

Duh! I didn’t say what mine means. I’ve fixed the entry. And I, too, always struggle with the romanization of words that I know how to say in Chinese.

Shaio seems like the right way to spell “little” and now I know the word for rainbow!

3. Mintyfresh says:

Yay for Chinese names, guys! My mom’s parents were Tai Shan (dialect of Cantonese), so I most often heard “Juk Ping,” but in Mandarin it’s “Ju Ping,” and I went with that for universality :)

My legal, given name, is one I quite like, but is fairly common.

4. Nicole says:

Your scarf is lovely. I’ve been looking for an inspiring pattern to make a shawl for my mom. I’ll have to give this a shot and see if it will work. :)

5. MeBeth says:

Your scarf is beautiful! I love the shine and the stitch definition, it really looks so good, and so wintry.

Regarding your entry from yesterday – I am a bad slovenly knitter and a lazy person but I would just fool with increases and decreases (in the armpit) till the back and front of the USM sweater have the same # of stitches.

6. Jodie says:

I’m going to make this scarf out of the handspun that’s on my blog header. It’s on the list of things to do. The stitch pattern looks so nice! It’s been cool here too, good knitting weather.