Redoing the socks was an excellent decision. I reduced the number of stitches, which makes the pattern open up more, I nixed the pattern into the toe, and I cleaned up the cuff. I tried to use up an entire skein, but I still have a few rows’ worth leftover, so I’m going to take out the cuff and lengthen the socks a bit, but I’ve already started the second sock.
I’m thrilled with the way the first sock has turned out. Now to obsess over left-leaning decreases again. I know I did a whole lot of experimenting before, but for this yarn and this pattern it’s worth revisiting. (Plus I need to try the slip 1, knit 1, psso variation.)