doh!

When I cast on for the second Zephirine sock, I was spending a girls’ weekend discussing life and boys and the works, and I guess I was pretty distracted, because I had to restart it three times (I kept increasing wrong). Well, I got on the bus to Maryland for Thanksgiving and was merrily knitting along, and then I realized that I’d ultimately cast on more stitches than I had for the first sock!

So much for taking “better notes.” Maybe I should start taking “any notes.”

Anyway, I’m not quite sure what to do now. These socks will be for me, rather than for my now-ex-boyfriend’s sister, and in truth, my right foot is larger than my left, so perhaps I should just continue on and make two different-sized socks. Or I can knit it at the larger stitch count and see if it’s just a better sock, and then redo the first? Decisions, decisions.

I still love these socks, but please excuse me for not wanting to look at them right now, knowing their original recipient is no longer my family. You’ll have to wait for the pattern. I need some good, simple, therapy knitting, but I’m not sure what to make. Thoughts?

I’ll leave you with a pretty picture from my walk home. I think I really love New York.

wintertime is here

20 Responses to doh!

Yeah–just put them down for now. You’ll be able to come back to them at some point, but for now, I’d suggest a new, very luxurious project just for you.

2. laura says:

I’m with Ashley. Those socks have some serious sad vibes right now. Maybe when you should frog them, put the yarn away for awhile and then choose a new pattern later.

I am so sorry, E. I think I can imagine how awful you must feel. Expect more communications to come your way. ::hugs::

3. Jessica says:

I think Ashley has the right idea. You deserve some serious TLC right now. It’s all about you! And that is good. Do something nice for yourself. More to come from me…..

4. Liz K says:

When my father died, I could not knit anything more than schmattes. Little swatches turned into dishrags, dishrags eventually into baby blankets. Anything that did not require thought.

Your subconscious needs to do a lot of processing for you right now. Pick the simple. Squarish. Maybe a log cabin or something comforting.

Then give it away. Who needs to be reminded of sadness.

5. KnittyOtter says:

I’m in a similar situation with my latest pair of socks. Now I have Sockers Block and can’t move forward. I’m knitting lots of hats for charity in order to avoid the whole dealing with of the second sock thing. *sigh* Good luck to you on your socks.

Love that photo. :D

6. Kelly says:

I’m so sorry to hear your news:( I agree with the other posters – put those socks down! You’re right to start fresh with a new project. What about working a cute stockinette sweater – one you’ll get a lot of use out of, but something mindless to knit. Hourglass, perhaps?

NYC is pretty:)

7. turtlegirl76 says:

(((HUGS))) I’m so sorry. Screw the socks. Frog ‘em and put the yarn away. But, I’m of the other camp. Keep yourself busy thinking of other things. Don’t do simple project, challenge yourself more. It’ll help get your mind off of it.

8. Collette says:

I’m so sorry. I agree with everyone else–put the socks down. Be gentle with yourself and do whatever makes you feel better.

9. maryse says:

oh man, i’m so sorry. that sucks. take good care of yourself.

but at least you’re in one of the most beautiful places in the world during the holidays.

Just to be contrary, I say that you finish the socks and wear them as a gift to yourself, as a symbol of your strength and resilience.

Nah, that’s actually terrible advice. Put them away for a good long while.

11. modjac says:

I’ve been knitting scarves. Very easy. Plus, it’s winter. Don’t know if you have a pattern for spiral scarves, but they’re quick and just about the simplest thing you can do:
    Cast on 100 stitches to big, long needles. (My pattern says size 19 needles, 47 inches long or some nonsense. I’ve been using thin yarn, size 8 or 10 needles, and casting on more like 130-150 stitches).
    Knit 1 row.
    Increase on every stitch on the way back. Now you have 200 stitches.
    Knit 1 row.
    Increase on every stitch on the way back. Now you have 400 stitches.
    Knit 1 row.
    Increase on every stitch on the way back. Now you have 800 stitches.
    Either knit 1 row, or bind off, or knit 1 row, increase on the way back and bind off, or do whatever else you want.
    (note: i made one for EP’s birthday, so don’t make her one :) )
    It’s the best pattern for not thinking–do the same thing 100 or 800 times over and over and then do something slightly different over and over again.
    We’ll talk soon, I’m sure. Love ya.