what a year

2006. The most tumultuous year of my adult life. I started it in a stable relationship of nearly 10 years, at a good job of nearly 7 years, in a comfy apartment where I’d lived for nearly 3 years, in my adopted city of nearly 7 years. I’m ending 2006 in no relationship, in a new job of 2 months, in a comfy apartment where I’ve lived for 2 months, in a completely new city. I couldn’t have predicted the sheer amount of change I’d go through.

As an aside, I’ve learned of this astrological thing called Saturn Return. Did you guys know about this? Now, I’m quite a skeptic, but sometimes this astrology stuff gets me very intrigued. This phenomemon apparently occurs over the course of time from when you are 28 to 30 years old. It describes a time of “challenge, fear, doubt, confusion, difficulty, seriousness, heaviness, and hard lessons, among other more positive things such as structure, significance, accomplishment, reflection, power, prestige, maturity, and order” (from Wikipedia) and another site quotes an astrologer who describes it as “one of the most important times in your life. . . a time of endings and new beginnings.” Is this uncanny or what? Because, uh, I turned 29 on Thanksgiving this year.

My dad has declared “2007: The year of Erin,” and I’m going to live by this mantra. Only positive changes from here on out, right?

But this is really a knitting blog, though there’s no strict rules or anything, and as for the knitting retrospective, let’s take a look back.

2006 Wrap-Up

I finished 17 of the things that I started in 2006. Six pairs of socks, four toys, and a lot of gifts. The only things for myself were the first pair of Pomatomus (orange), the headband, and the Kiri shawl. The second pair of Pomatomus (blue) has been regifted to me, actually, so I did score one other thing for myself. I hadn’t really looked at the sum of the year’s knitting in one place before, and I hadn’t realized just how little I knit for myself. That is all going to change in the coming year, let me tell you. I’m also a little frustrated by the number of FOs total. (Oh, wait! I also designed a baby sweater, but I still have the idea that I will write up the pattern and submit it somewhere for publication, which is why I don’t show it here.) It seems high–17 things over the course of 12 months–but so many of these things were impossibly small (a headband, two small toys, a hat). All over the blogosphere, people are finishing things left and right; it makes me insanely jealous. It’s so silly to be jealous, but the emotion is there. How to resolve this burning emotion? Uh, knit more, stay more focused, and complete the things you start.

Because I started quite a few things that haven’t been finished. Several pairs of socks crowd my knitting basket and are occupying perfectly good sock needles, and someday I’ll get back to them, I swear. For most of them I hit a stumbling block–not enough yarn, or the need to decrease before doing the heel and an inability to decide how to do it–and it sidelined the project entirely. Must sit down and resolve these remaining issues, and get some things off the needles.

Coming up for 2007, I plan several knitting-related things.

• Use up the stash. No yarn buying until the stash is reduced by 1/3.
  • Finish the Cambridge Jacket for me.
  • Knit Sahara from Stitch Diva for me, using some kind of fabulous yarn. (Still need to buy the pattern, the yarn, etc.)
  • Explore the different yarn stores in New York City, getting familiar with them in advance of being allowed to buy yarn.
  • Finish more projects!!

I’m also going to make a few nonknitting-related resolutions.

• Get back on track for doctor’s visits, including the dentist, allergist, etc. Perhaps try for allergy shots or acupuncture to control the allergies.
  • Get to bed at a decent hour every night. No more procrastinating sleep.
  • Eat lunch and dinner every day, at least. It’s pathetic to spell this out as a resolution, but I am prone to not eating big meals. I know everyone says breakfast is the most important, but I will allow that as my expendable meal.
  • Generally start saving more money, which means eating in more often and packing my lunch.
  • Explore New York City! Make it my own. Do so in the company of my absolutely fabulous friends.

29 Responses to what a year

1. hpny knits says:

welcome to New York City! the most fabulous place ever! wishing you strength in all your resolutions and a fun fiber filled year!
    by the way- some of the stuff that ended for you in 2006 may have actually been positive for you, even if you did not see this at the time!!!
    Happy New Year!

2. Dee says:

Happy New Year, Erin!!!

Except for the part about exploring your new city, I’m right there with you on the resolutions! Hoping all the best (for both of us!)

3. maryse says:

i think 2007 will be an incredibly exciting year for you. you went through a lot of change in 2006 but it’s all good change even if it didn’t always seem like it.

4. gleek says:

wow, it has been one heck of a year for you! NYC, though, is such a great place to reinvent yourself or find yourself. i remember when i first moved here and how freeing it was. i’m sure it’ll become a good home to you in 2007.

happy new year!

5. Amy says:

When I turned 30, it was a year of change for me as well. There may be something to that Saturn thing.

I’ve bought the yarn and the pattern to knit Sahara. Maybe there’s a posssible KAL in our future? I have a few other knits I need to wrap up before I start. I’m using Louisa Harding Kashmir DK (my all time favorite winter yarn) as the base and Louisa Harding Shingle as the bling. Can’t wait to get started.

The “Year of Erin” is going to be awesome. I’m looking forward to being along for the ride here in the blogsphere.

Amy

6. Areli says:

What a crazy year it’s been for you, I agree with your dad on letting 2007 be the year of Erin.

You’re resolutions are inspiring, I have been thinking and pondering my own and you have given me food for thought, thanks :-)

7. Kristy says:

What a year for you! You should be proud you were able to make so many difficult decisions for yourself. I’m wishing you the best in the new year :)

8. Jessica says:

This definitely has been a big year for you, but it can only go up from here! I love your resolutions and your finished objects are all awesome (so no need to worry about the quanity). Hope you have a very Happy New Year! :)

9. Collette says:

Those sound like good resolutions. I’m sorry it’s been a tough year and the cliche is that you’ll look back and see how strong you were and how important the changes were. Yeah, cliches are annoying but they’re usually correct–that’s how they got to be cliches!
    I like your father’s slogan–Happy New Year of Erin!

10. Lolly says:

I am so happy to see these great resolutions. This has been a tumultuous year for you, no doubt – but so much is ahead of you! You live in a fabulous place with so much to do, you have a wonderful community of blogger friends (us!!) and you have so much going for you. Things will definitely work out – year of Erin indeed! I am all for that!

Good thing about the doctor’s visits too. I started that this past year, and wow, was I overdue… especially on the dentist. So much better to be on track. You know, preventative rather than reactionary.

I will be in NYC this spring, and we are definitely going out ;)

I think 2007 has great things in store for you!

And the doctors visits, that’s a good resolution…particularly the dentist…I should have adopted that resolution in 2005 because 2006 (and probably the first part of 2007) is all about me and my dentist…we are entirely too close now….

12. natalie says:

Happy New Year, Erin. It sounds like you have a great year ahead for yourself – I hope it’s the best yet! I like your idea of knitting more for yourself, too (I have the same problem). :-)

13. Jeanne B. says:

I hope this is the year for Erin and the year for anyone else who had a particularly rough go of it in 2006 (I know I did). Funny about that Saturn Return—I checked out the references you mentioned, and thought about my life. The years around 30 were anti-climatic for me; no major upheavals good or bad. But the past couple of years—boy! Maybe my Saturn Return was delayed 13 years (I’m 43) because everything mentioned in the article has been happening to me since March 2005. I wonder if that’s possible? I’m famously late for things, anyway. It would make perfect sense to me to miss my Saturn Return. Not looking forward to 58-60, that’s for sure, if I have to go through upheavals again.

Happy New Year, Erin, may you be blessed with all good things.

14. turtlegirl76 says:

It has been a big year for you, but sometimes, change is good. No doubt about that. 2007 will definitely be better for you when you put the focus on yourself. It’s a good year to be Erin!

15. Veronique says:

What an upheaval of a year! I’m sure you will settle down peacefully in your new home. It took me a good year of living in NYC to feel like I wasn’t a newbie anymore (ie stop charting out all my subway trips!). And if you want to go on yarn shopping expeditions, it’s the place to be! Have you checked out Seaport Yarns and Habu? They are both unusual, only-in-NY types of places.

Never mind, my question in the comments of your last post was answered in this post.

I think it\’s the quality, not the quantity, of knitted items that are the measure of a successful knitting year, and I think you did quite well there. Your plans for 2007 sound great! You should add, \”Have one or more knitting evenings with Rachel when she comes to NYC for work.\” :)

17. modjac says:

Um, yeah, Saturn Return is totally real. But you’re on the other side of it now, and the things you begin to create now should be stronger than what you ever had before. Here’s to your success!
    Also, I also have to resolve to eat all my meals (and I also skip breakfast). Sometimes making resolutions is the only way to make things really happen.
    Love ya!

18. Petra says:

Two very lovely sock patterns you’ve got there! I found them through another blog.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a nice 2007
    Best wishes from Germany
    Petra

19. knitannie says:

I love that montage. It really brings home your acheivements this year. Look at how much you made what with all of the other stuff going on in your life!
    Hope 2007 is the Minty Year.
    KA

20. Mia says:

Okay, how long will the using up your stash resolution work when you plan to buy a fab yarn to knit up Sahara with? But good luck with the knitting from the stash. I am in the process of cleaning out mine.

And try acupuncture first. I have used it for pain management. I hate needles at the doctor’s office.

And you live in a great city so you should explore it. But don’t forget your camera.

21. MeBeth says:

Oh, man, your post reminds me that I need to go to the dentist. Seriously, though, that Saturn Return thing is really interesting, I wonder if that explains some stuff in my life too! Glad to hear that 2007 is the year of Erin, enjoy it!!

22. John says:

Hey—Happy New Year! I hope it’s off to a great start. Let’s make sure to hang out soon. My schedule is, ahem, rather open these days. :)

Also: That nautilus is so adorable!

23. Specs says:

Happy belated New Year! Just ride the wave of positive New Year’s blog posting that’s happening now and coast into the Year of Erin. :)

24. Chuck says:

Erin, What’s the name for the period of change that happens between the ages of 38 and 40 ? Can’t wait to see you at the end of the month. much love.

25. heather says:

i had one of those years in 2005 as well…I have to say..

IT IS THE YEAR OF ERIN…and what a fabulous strong and wise year it will be!

Fabulous knits and fabulous times on the horizon m’dear…

keep your head up and your gauge in specs!