oh, “knitting”

I’m sad to say there’s no Eye Candy this week. But! I have a small rant–that’s just as good, right?

from Cooking Light

This photo is from the latest Cooking Light. Unfortunately, clicking on it isn’t going to get it much bigger or afford much more clarity. But if you can make it out you’ll see, or you can just trust me, that whatever this woman is doing is not knitting. That’s why I’m calling it “knitting” in the subject.

She’s happily wrapping the yarn from the ball using her right hand, which would be fine, except she’s wrapping it around the left needle, and the two needles aren’t doing anything with each other. so basically she’s just in the middle of a row wrapping yarn willy-nilly around the wrong needle! And what is up with all the balls of yarn that seem to be leading to the work? I’m surprised that no one at the shoot knew how to knit–who provided the cast-on? The stylist’s friend, who did it as a favor?

I know it’s at its heart a cooking magazine, so I can’t expect too much when they delve into other things, but just a little attempt at accuracy? I haven’t even read past this page, so I don’t know what it tries to say, if anything, about knitting. But phooey on them, I say.

32 Responses to oh, “knitting”

1. Jen says:

I agree about the yarn, what a dippy picture! It could be they flipped the picture left-right, or that this gal knits, but knits backwards. But what are the chances of THAT happening???

Love your Anastasia pattern!

2. LoveStrong says:

I totally understand what you mean! I look at ads all the time and see *oh, that exercise is wrong* or *that running stance isn’t realistic*… And maybe it is just being picky. But when it is your passion ~ and the pic leads to an article specifically about that subject ~ it is maddening!

3. Leigh says:

LOL. She even has an amused expression like she’s knows she’s doing something silly.

Stlll, that doesn’t bother me as much as the health commercials that show people doing yoga with bad form at least she’s not getting injured.

4. libraryliz says:

I hate that sort of thing! I’ve noticed incorrect “knitting” in commercials and movies too. It’s just annoying.
    But like Jen said, maybe they did rotate the photo – that does happen more than we’d think.

OMG I was JUST reading that in bed (I am lazy this morning, ok?) and thinking the exact same thing! This is not Cooking Light’s first feature on “knitting” and the others have been just as asinine. I really wish they would just cut out all the “lifestyle” crap and just be about yummy recipes. (I also wish that half their recipes would not call for 1/8 teaspoon each of 6 spices I’ve never heard of, but that’s a differenst complaint.)

6. Kelly says:

That’s hilarious! I would have never noticed, but now that you pointed it out – it bugs me! I wonder how long she had to hold that pose to get the shot!

7. SpaceCase says:

Hee! The next time I yell at the TV “You call that knitting?” when some poor actress doesn’t know what she’s doing, I’ll know I”m probably not the only one.

8. gleek says:

i took one look at that picture before i read your whole post and thought, wow, that totally looks wrong! my guess is that no one bothered to find someone who knew any different about knitting for the photo shoot. too bad.

maybe she got nervous and “forgot” how to knit because her picture was being taken for a high circulation magazine? or not… I was very confused when I saw this picture in the magazine last weekend. she is doing something, but it’s definitely NOT knitting!

10. Micki says:

Yikes! Unfortunately, that kind of thing happens all too often. I seem to remember an animated commercial in which a group of women were quilting with knitting needles.

As a remedy to this kind of ignorance, I suggest watching old Bette Davis movies. She both knits (Now, Voyager) and crochets (The Letter), and the woman clearly knows what she is doing.

11. Jackie says:

Amen! It’s incredible the number of ways you see knitting bastardized in the movies and in magazines. My favorite cliche is the old lady whose furious hands are swinging the knitting needles around as if she were trying to flag down an airplane with her wrists tied together.

12. Mia says:

Maybe if we all emailed Cooking Light they would get the message? Nope. I don’t think they would. I pretty much stopped reading that magazine when the recipes were less than 50% of the magazine.

13. Laura says:

heehee. My particular pet peeve are photos of people “playing” the violin (or another stringed instrument) and playing it incorrectly.

Soon after I started working at publisher X (my old employer) I found a photo in a textbook of a kid “playing” the violin. His hand positions were all wrong and the scroll of the violin was poiniting way up to the ceiling. AND he was holding the violin in the wrong hand! I nearly went crazy.

Later, I asked for a photo of a kid playing the violin insisted that whoever the photo department picked model had to actually know how to play the violin. The photo I got was much better.

Then I left the company for a few years and the designers on the book flipped the photo because it “looked better that way” and ruined the whole thing. After I rejoined the company, the managing editor (who knew that I played the cello) called me into his office to ask if anyone played the violin “left handed.” Apparently the company got flack for the photo that they flipped and the managing editor was trying to “prove” that there was nothing wrong with it.

14. Stef says:

Hee. I’ve got to play the devil’s advocate here– I knit backwards, so the picture isn’t all that improbable. But yeah, she looks like she’s not really doing so much with the yarn except posing.

I think I shall do a blog post in which I encourage everyone to take up cooking this year as a way to, I don’t know, self improve somehow. But I will illustrate with a photograph of myself cheerful pouring olive oil onto ice cream and sticking my hand into the flame of the gas stove. I mean, that’ll be close enough to “cooking,” right?

16. modjac says:

Two things:
    First of all, I was just thinking about this issue today, as I was lying on the couch wishing my cold would go away. I once dated a guy who, when watching Better Off Dead, would complain that they ski with poor form at the end of the movie. I had a few related memories that are equally uninteresting to share. BUT… it has always made me wonder why people who produce such things don’t think to ask someone who knows how things are done to simply get it right. What, you’re making a movie with John Cusack and you can’t even find stuntmen who know how to ski?
    Second of all, maybe this chick, goofy as she looks in the cooking magazine, is going to inspire a bunch of new knitters, people who think they need the “sense of fulfillment” that knitting brings them. I know that if I had some yarn at home, I wouldn’t have paid as much attention to crap tv while home sick today. Come on, let’s look at the bright side. Also, she makes us all feel superior because we know better than she does how to knit. Ha.

17. Meredith says:

Phooey indeed! I’m all for people starting to knit for the first time, but couldn’t someone have given her a lesson in how to HOLD the project first?
    Hmmm…Here’s a theory! Maybe she dropped it right before the picture was taken and now she’s trying to untangle it…that heartless photographer didn’t wait long enough for her to prove that she really does know what she’s doing. Poor thing…maybe next photo shoot.
    Ha ha!!

18. Meg says:

When I first looked at this picture, I honestly thought it was one of those kooky vintage photos from some mid-20th century women’s magazine, even the wording “fun, purposeful pursuit that motivates you” sounds like something straight out of the era…

19. heather says:

I used to subscribe to Cooking Light years ago and quit doing so for reasons quite like this. They do have some good recipes, some gleaned are still in rotation at my house, but the over all sense of the magazine is quite clueless. They seem to be chasing the polls or something. Not ever quite realistic enough to be convincing and a bit pandering as well. I don’t know how to say it any better, the whole mag just doesn’t quite sit right with me.