BFF!

Sometimes you go to meet someone and you’re not expecting anything much, but you find more than you’d ever imagined–more things in comon, more things to laugh about, more things to share. That’s what happened with Pam of FlintKnits yesterday.

*giggle*

Honestly, I only recently discovered and started reading her blog. She’s a skilled knitter and sewer, knits a lot of socks, but she hasn’t really been blogging all that long. I didn’t know much about her, but she said she’d be in town with no plans on the weekend, and I had nothing planned for Saturday day, so I said “sure!” I needed to go to Purl Soho anyway, to get yarn for a friend’s socks, so why not do it with someone else?

And so we yarn-shopped; I bought 5 (five!) skeins of sock yarn. First up is the neutral that one of my best friends requested; she is a practical girl and decided that this kind of beigey color would be most useful for her. She also wants lacy; I haven’t settled on a pattern for her yet.

more koigu

The light’s a little off, but really, the skeins are this beige. I couldn’t believe there was the exact color she wanted available. But I wasn’t satisfied with this plain vanilla. I mean, I do it for my BFF, but it isn’t a dream to look at. Pam and I kept pawing the awesome Koigu, mostly the burnt oranges, when the chocolate brown caught my eye. Now, I know that’s not really a vivid color or anything, but chocolate brown and I are best friends. With powder blue in the mix (like for the mittens I’m still planning), we’re BFF.

chocolate brown + powder blue = my weakness

I’m picturing blue toes and heels and some sporadic blue stripes. Stockinette, to make them wearable and useful.

We went down the street to Purl Patchwork, where Pam got fabric for shirtdresses and a shirt (I’ll let her show those), and I gaped around but didn’t buy anything.

Hungry, we thought to go to The Point for knitting and eating, but it was really crowded, so we left without doing much (the sock yarn selection there is practically nil), and ended up at a small French restaurant a few doors down. We were there for the next few hours. No knitting, but some yummy food, including the escargots and two dessert crepes. (Forgot to photograph the crepes!) And LOTS of laughing and great conversation, from Buffy to knitting in the round to the portrayals of women in pop culture.

365.97 the best part of escargots

I had such an excellent afternoon! Next time she’s in town I will demand time to hang out. And who knows, maybe I’ll find myself in Flint or Minneapolis sometime. Knitbloggers make the best friends! BFF, if you will.

20 Responses to BFF!

Trip to Michigan! Trip to Michigan! Trip to Michigan!

(Have I made my desires clear?)

I’m glad you two had such fun–that sounds like a really great day. Except for the escargot.

2. kmkat says:

Do come to Minneapolis — what a great excuse for a knitgathering! “Meet Mintyfresh, of Pepperknit fame!” and we would all sit on the grass in a park somewhere — I’m picturing this happening sometime during the 3-day Minnesota summer — and knit and drink cool beverages and nibble on salty treats and have a great time.

I’m new to your blog, but your name, Mintyfresh, cracks me up whenever I come across it. I recently finished listening to A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore, and there is a character in the book by that name. He’s a 7 foot tall black man who always dresses in a mint green suit and who runs a used music store but is a death merchant as well. (You’ll have to read the book to understand that this is a good thing.)

3. pamela wynne says:

aw, this is really nice! *sniff*

I had a wonderful time, too! Thanks for introducing me to new foods and stat counters and self portraiture.

And I’m sorry I said your Mr. Pointy looks like a turd. It is still very impressive. xo.

4. Lolly says:

I am thrilled to hear that you two hit it off so well. I agree with you wholeheartedly :) Lovely new yarns you acquired, my friend!

5. Elinor says:

Sweet! You’re just meeting up with knitbloggers all over the place!!! I’m glad you two had a good time! And who can argue with more sock yarn? Certainly not me! I just got your blogiversary prize in the mail and I’m really excited about it! I’m going to consult Flickr before I decide what to make with it. Thanks, Minty!

6. Specs says:

Aw, I love hearing these stories! They remind me that not everyone on the internet is a skeevy 40-something guy looking for pre-teen sexification, contrary to what Dateline would have us think.

7. Tana says:

That is my newest favorite experience – meeting a person who becomes a great friend! Oh I LOVE it! There’s all this hope for future friendliness! We knitbloggers should each do a tour…hee hee…all three of my readers would be super excited!! But wouldn’t that be cool to say, “Okay, you get this week, another person get’s this week, and so on?” That would be fun.

For now, we must rely on our blogs.

8. Karen O says:

Well – if you come to Minneapolis, you’d BETTER let me know. As muggle mother of a knitter, I know plenty of LYSs and lots of good places to eat. And to sweeten the deal, there’s also at least one empty bedroom at any given time at out house that can be yours for the asking!

Karen O

Yay for meet ups with knit bloggers! I am glad you two had such a great time! And I for one think that brown is very exciting. I love brown. I wear entirely too much of it. And brown with blue? Bonus! Can’t wait to see the socks!

10. knittingphilistine says:

I can feel the BFF love oozing though the screen… as jealous as I am at not being part of the exclusive love-at-first-sight meeting, I have to admit that you two are cute and you look like you’re having such fun!

I’m not jealous at all. Not jealous not jealous not jealous. Me? Jealous? No! Just because your post about FlintKnits is called BFF and your one about me is called Lost and Found, which doesn’t even have anything to do with me, is no reason to be jealous. Nor that the post with me in it didn’t even mention me until 2/3 of the way through it. And then talked mostly about swatches anyway. But seriously, I’m not jealous. And you are not dead to me.

Do you think our relationship is becoming unhealthy?

P.S. I LOATHE your security code. I’d say I lose my original comment a good half the time.