jennie is not as tall as I’d thought

She’s just as sweet and delightful, though. I don’t know why, but I had it in my head that Jennie was going to tower over me. Turns out she’s just a little taller than me (or about the same height; we were not on completely level ground for the photo).

minty + jennie

I’ve compared these blogger meetups with first dates (not that I know what a first date is really like), but this one was more like falling in step with an old friend, I thought. I was a bit late for our lunch date on Friday, so when I dashed outside and turned and saw her–I don’t know–it was like, “Right! There’s Jennie, waiting for me.” Not “Woah! I just met Jennie!”

Jennie is a fan of all foods that come with rice, so I took her to Won Dee Siam, where I took Rachel many months ago. It’s so tasty and so inexpensive, it’s hard to resist. We were there chatting for a long while–until there were no other patrons in the place–and then we went to Central Park for some knitting and more great conversation.

I started on a baby hat for one of the twins (Jennie suggested cables so I went with 2×2 cables all around, separated by 2 purls, and I knit about 2 inches). Her approach to an afternoon of knitting was different. She did something I’ve seen other bloggers do, and which mystifies me–she knit for some time on the baby bootees, then set them aside and got out her Icarus shawl. I’m a monogamous knitter, so this is completely foreign to me.

jennie's leyburn!

She did have a surprise in store–one completed Leyburn sock! Hers is so beautiful. She had a bit of trouble with the heel (making it roomy enough). I am not entirely sure how to guide folks if you have a need for a larger/taller heel, since the short-row heel (the lazy knitter’s heel, in my lazy opinion) doesn’t allow for much height. Maybe do a Widdershins heel flap, so you can get a taller heel? It’s a little tricky to maintain stretchiness with the floats, which is why the pattern has some increasing built in before the heel. I guess increase more, and then decrease it away?

Anyway, the afternoon was over all too soon–next time I’m in Philly, I hope Jennie’s in town!

9 Responses to jennie is not as tall as I’d thought

What a nice afternoon, even if you are devaluing the memory of our first meeting by parading other knitbloggers through our special restaurant. :)

2. Specs says:

Ok. I’ve got to get off my ass and meet some of the Philly bloggers. They’re so cool and I’m living 15 minutes away, for cryin’ out loud.
    Glad you had a nice time!

3. Sulalala says:

So fun! I just finished Leyburn #1 and started Leyburn #2 and I absolutely adore them! I skipped the suggested heel increases altogether, and in fact I think I had to decrease a few sts to accomodate the pattern. They fit really well with no problems on & off (I am a loose knitter with small ankles, but maybe there are others like me).

4. Elinor says:

Minty, I’m so jealous that you’ve met up with ALL of my favorite bloggers in a matter of mos! *sigh* It sounds like you two had a great time on your date! But wait, I thought you were dating Rachel… :-)

I saw Jennie’s Leyburn on her blog a while back and I really, really like the color! I’m definitely queuing that pattern!!

5. Haley says:

i’m also a monogamous knitter. one project at a time for me. well, at least one project on the needles at a time. i always have multiple projects on the brain. the only exception–if i’m doing a blanket, i usually also have a smaller project to work on when i need a blanket break. glad you’re having fun meeting and visiting.

6. laura says:

Oh! Fun! I dream of having an East Coast vacation, in which I take the Metroliner from Boston to NYC to Philly to DC, stopping in each city to have blogger meetups and yarn crawls. Sigh.