Since finishing Swallowtail, I haven’t been exactly sure what I wanted to knit next. I swatched for Sahara, and once I did I recalled my intention to knit it with a different gauge, which as you know means extensive math, and well: not in the mood. I decided that doubling the yarn for the Cabled Bandeau is not being true to the yarn, so I’m going to frog that entirely and find new yarn to make it out of. I started designing a new pair of socks, but the Koigu felt really thick and rough compared with the laceweight I used for Swallowtail and the luscious Tess Silk & Ivory I was using for Sahara. I wanted something light, something sweet, something that would feel good to work on and brighten my day. I wanted to work with some soft sock yarn, like the Lisa Souza Sock!Merino. So I did.
A New iPod Cozy
Pattern: My own
Yarn: Lisa Souza Sock!Merino in Peacock
Needles: US 1 Knitpicks Circs (used Magic Loop)
Started: 8pm, Sunday June 3
Finished: 10pm, Sunday, June 3
Movie Watched: Ocean’s Eleven, on TBS
I’m very happy with this FO. So fast, so easy, so practical, and feels like a vast improvement over my last iPod cozy, though that one served me well. In fact, I think I had that iPod cozy for two and a half years. Here it is, in a photo taken a year and a half ago, when it was a year old.
That was knit using an acrylic yarn that actually had some sparkle, which I felt was appropriate for the iPod what with it being white and all. But it’s become really dirty, and stretched out, and though it still functioned fine, I wanted something shiny and new.
This was a great use of leftover sock yarn–used very little yarn. I love the color (this yarn was used to make my top-down+toe-up pair of Pomatomus) and having this in my bag today brought a smile to my face. I used the same “pattern” that I made up for the first one, using moss stitch for the flap and top edging and a bobble for the closure, but of course I adjusted for gauge. Mostly I decided how many stitches to cast on (46 stitches total), used magic cast-on, and knit a tube using Magic Loop. To make the holes for the earphones and the bobble, I cast one stitch off in the middle and on the next row did a yo to both create a stitch and increase the size of the hole. I know current iPods don’t have the earphones come out the middle of the top like that, so you may not even need to know how I did it!
Unfortunately, knitting something so fast means I’m back to trying to decide what to knit next!
Photos taken on the penthouse patio of the woman who hosted the alumnae board meeting I attended tonight on the Upper East Side. I can only dream of someday living in a place like that!