living legend

I went to Kaffe Fassett’s book signing at Knitty City tonight, with my friend Staci, who is celebrating her 1 year anniversary of learning to knit today! In the past year she’s made several fantastic sweaters. Probably more than I have! And she’s jumped in with both feet–planning a cashmere sweater. I swoon with jealousy. She’s not a blogger . . . yet. But anyway.

IMG_5280.JPG (by mintyfreshflavor)

Kaffe was charming, funny, witty, and inspiring. Brandon Mably introduced him and spoke a little about their tour so far, and Kaffe showed pieces from the latest book and encouraged everyone to take his work as “recipes” to be built upon, because it’s all about exploring color.

IMG_5275.JPG (by mintyfreshflavor)

We of course asked to see the back of the pieces. He showed us the back of the blanket (the cover shot), which he had not knit, and deemed it “anal.” Later he showed us the back of one of his own knits, and unfortunately my picture was blurry! But it was only marginally less anal than the blanket, I would say. (And, um, I don’t want to think about the searches that might turn up my blog after the use of that word twice, and once in quotation marks! Let’s not even talk about the fact that Kaffe asked if I was a hooker and I admitted in front of everyone that yes, I am. (He’s a thrower.))

IMG_5286.JPG (by mintyfreshflavor)

Hila was the teacher’s pet, though, pulling from her bag one of his older books that wasn’t in the store (he referred to it and wanted it as a reference), and even knitting on a glove using the new Kaffe sock yarn–much to his delight. (Show-off!)

This Thursday, November 1, he’s doing a slide presentation about color and inspiration in all its forms (knitting, patchwork, etc) at the Haft Auditorium at FIT, from 6-7:30. I’ll be there, too!

20 Responses to living legend

1. emmms says:

I bow down to your legendary-awesomeness-by-association.

You know… you’ve got hooker AND anal in the same posting… that’s a pretty hefty combination.

2. Lolly says:

That sounds like a fascinating talk – his new book does have some lovely things. I especially like that brocade blanket. Wow, E. You are such a hooker ;P

This is cool. I’m not so much with Kaffe’s knits (see above comment in re: Cosby vest) but I think his quilts are unbelievably dreamy (why one and not the other? I do not know) and I’d love to hear him speak sometime. From everything I hear, he’s a really generous and fun teacher.

4. connie says:

Is the FIT thing open to the public?

I love Fasset’s use of color, but have never knit a significant intarsia or fair isle project myself. My tension still sucks :(

Hey, I’m a sleazy dude who found my way here after doing a search for “hookers” and “anal.” While this isn’t really what I was looking for, I must say you have a charming web site! And that Mr. Kaffe sure does know how to wield color.

6. Jennifer says:

I sat right behind you at FIT! I was truly mesmerized (and really impressed) with your knitting style and speed. Amazing! I enjoyed myself, Kaffe is a pleasant speaker. The friend I came with went to one of his workshops many years ago. Now that must be a lot of fun.

7. Specs says:

I’ve never been a big fan of Kaffe’s knits — to much color for me. But then, anything with more than two colors is generally too much for me.