sunrise: movement

Thereâ’s been some movement on the redo of the Sunrise Circle Jacket. I considered carefully the persistent sage advice of Rachel, who emailed me more than once to encourage me to simply buy new yarn and start fresh rather than take it out. It might seem as if I’m making a joke (ha! this was advice I had to consider!), but I’m really not—I thought for a while about this. Buying new yarn wasn’t going to break the bank—just 9 hanks of Wool of the Andes is $16—and it would be a whole lot easier—but it seemed wasteful somehow, so I didn’t go out and buy new yarn right away.

I’ve since come to a conclusion, the conclusion that was obvious to everyone else: It was going to be waaaaay too much of a pain in the ass to take the jacket out. I couldn’t bear it. No, wouldn’t be able to go through it. I was super-careful with the seaming of the jacket, so dismantling it was going to require feats of strength that even my rigorous yoga practice wouldn’t be able to handle.

Tonight, I bit the bullet. Not only did I buy yarn for mom’s new Sunrise, but I said, “aw heck,” and clicked to buy the yarn to make myself one, too (in chocolate brown). Now the wait begins! In the meantime, I’m going to think about tweaking the back darts of the pattern a bit. I’m not sure they need to be quite so darty . . .

8 Responses to sunrise: movement

1. goodkarma says:

I think that was a wise move. Now surely you can think of a friend who’s just a tiny bit smaller than you are who would appreciate a lovely handknit jacket? I wish I were the right size… I guess I’ll just have to go knit my own! :)

2. knitannie says:

Good plan. I just hope I finish my Chocolate Sunrise before you finish yours. Given that I only have one side seam to go, let’s hope I can do it!

3. Laura says:

I had thought of that too, but I had sort of forgotten that you had knit it in easily replaceable yarn. SOMEONE you know will fit into it. Or, someone at the thrift shop will get a seriously good sweater.

Hoorah! When I gave mmy advice I hadn’t even considered the work of taking out a meticulously seamed FO — I was just thinking that if you have to do the work twice, you might as well end up with two jackets rather than one. Anyway, I think it was a smart move, and someday you’ll realize you know someone that the first jacket would be perfect for, and you’ll be that person’s hero. :)

5. Laura says:

you gotta watch out for that Rachel. She’s always trying to make people bend to her will.

Good luck and have fun with the jackets!

Having just tried to unseam an old sweater to salvage the yarn, I heartily endorse this decision! (My old sweater? In the trash.) Plus, I echo everybody else: someday, someone will fit that sweater perfectly, and think you are a total genius for making it _just_ for her!

7. Sadie Vae says:

I’m glad the green Sunrise will survive. Surely you can gift it to some dinky person at some point. Personally, I would have never thought to consider ripping out that beautiful thing!

I totally agree with you on the darts; a little less flare would be good; mine looks a little “peplum-ish” as written.