begin with the sheep

It is the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival, right? So I’ll start with the sheep.

Like, the herds of us all converging on the fairgrounds Saturday morning. I’d driven down with a friend and her husband, and we got in so late Friday night that we didn’t rush out the door Saturday morning. When we got off the highway, around 11am, we were in a long line of cars waiting to get in.

As we were slowly making our way to an available row of parking, I saw Jessica walking out from the fair–on her way to drop more fiber into her already overflowing car. I definitely shrieked and rushed to roll down a window, but eventually just opened the door to shout hi. My friend (not a blogger) muttered, “60,000 people, and within 2 minutes you run into someone you know . . .”

sheep @ mdsw

The three of us made our way into the fair and were completely overwhelmed within the first 5 minutes. Probably because we started out in the Tess booth. I’d already planned, before arriving, that I was going to leave with Tess yarn, so I was feeling pressure to pick something right away. Confused and looking for some help, a woman next to me asked if I was Minty–it was Kelp! I fear I wasn’t very coherent at the time. We left Tess empty handed, resolved to return.

mohair kids

And then we just went up and down and back and forth, bleating along with the sheep and exclaiming at the cuteness and the noisiness and the bags and bags of fleece. My friend was desperate to buy some, but I still have no desire to spin.

border leicester roving

My mom joined us at the sheep shearing, and then we did lunch. Is it just us, or is it slightly weird to be walking around watching sheep get primped, buying their fleece, and then, um, eating them? But eat them we did, going straight to the “Pit Lamb” booth and then standing in a long line for a Lime Fizz (a Maryland/DC fair staple; I’ve loved Lime Fizz forever).

sheep shearing

I ran into more bloggers–the Columbia crew of Coleen, Jen, and Diane said hi. Mom and I wandered to where the blogger meetup was supposed to happen, but I didn’t see too many people. Nova came over, though, so I got to meet her, Special K, and Lil Sir. I called Liz–love that she answered her phone with “where are you?!” Turned out she and most of the other blogger folk were back on the lawn near the sheep shearing, so we went back over there, and met Ann (also of Crossroad Knits), and Trillian, and Turtlegirl, and saw Jessica again, and Kristy (who I’d run into earlier, too), and plenty more that I didn’t get a chance to talk to. Jess, the brilliant founder of Ravelry, came by with pins and to chitchat.

me + nova; me + liz k

Aside: Liz is so much more petite than I’d expected–we stood on the steep hill so that we appear to be the same height.

Later in the afternoon Lolly and I met up and cruised the Main Exhibition Hall together, but for the most part my mom, my friend, and I shopped together. Yes, shopped. For yarn.

Next up, Minty builds an actual stash!!

alpacas

25 Responses to begin with the sheep

1. Jen says:

Sounds like you had a great time–now comes the fun part of seeing everyone’s purchases on their blogs. :D

It was great to see you again (even though it was brief)!

2. pamela wynne says:

Ha! When I saw your beautiful Flickr pictures, the first thing I thought was, “Is Minty amassing a STASH!?”

I’m so glad you got past the initial shock to have a good time! And I swear I’m gonna make it out next year (but I swore that last year, too).

3. turtlegirl76 says:

I haven’t even begun to take pics of my MDSW stash! I have to get home first. My camera cord still lingers in Charlotte. I guess I’d better get driving! I have an itch to start a lace shawl with some of this stuff I got.

4. amy says:

Why don’t they do those things in Texas?!? They sound like so much fun to go to.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Amy

5. Lolly says:

Loved seeing you :) I love how you say “my mom, my friend, and I … shopped together”. I felt like I was the only one shopping! You did get that great Louet though…

Talk to you soon xo

6. Kristy says:

It was great to (briefly) see you! I’m with you— I don’t have any real desire to learn how to spin either. I’m excited to see your purchases :)

7. Laura says:

alright, when I see Kelp! this Thursday I’m going to glare at her and pout that she met you. This is becoming very unfair. I want to meet you!

8. kelp! says:

Eep, did I really look that confused? It must have been all that gorgeous Tess yarn overwhelming me! I’m looking forward to seeing your haul, I unfortunately did not escape the Tess both unscathed.

9. Jody says:

Hi – It was cool meeting you on Saturday ( I was with Coleen and Jen and Diane) and then later when you were with Turtlegirl and Trillian.

Looks like you had just as much fun as I did!
    -Jody

It was so fun meeting you! I wish I could have stayed longer, but Connecticut called. And yay for the stash building!!

11. isel says:

That was so much fun!! I still can’t get over the fact that you didn’t have a stash. You so needed to go to the MDSW!
    Can’t wait to see what you got. It was great seeing you two there. I’m sure I was just as coherent as the sheep… :D

12. Amy says:

It was so nice to meet you at MDS&W! I’ve loved your sock patterns, and it was great to put a name with your face.

You know, I was wondering about all that roving on flickr. “Is Minty becoming a spinner?” I asked myself. Glad to hear that I still have at least one non-spinning ally ;)

14. Kristen says:

The alpacas at the end look cartoonish. I love them!

I couldn’t eat sheep at a sheep festival. I’m not a vegetarian; I do enjoy meaty meat. I just can’t eat sheep at a sheep festival, I have trouble eating pulled pork when I saw it on the spit, and I never ate at the Wendy’s on Colerain right next to the slaugherhouse. :( I think I would have cried at the Pit Lamb booth, especially after seeing the cuteness that is sheep all day.

15. Jen says:

Sorry I didn’t get to join you guys for the blogger meetup. I didn’t walk though the gates until 1 then became overwhelmed also at the Tess yarn booth!

16. Jane says:

I just finished the Lily of the Valley stole in Lace Style. In fact, I did two of them. It is naturally full of nupps. Instead of making myself crazy with the purl 5 tog, I slipped 2 purlwise, purled 3 tog and passed the 2 slipped stitches over. It works like a charm. I treated the 2 slipped stiches as one stitch, I did not slip them or pass them individually. Once I did this, I never gave the nupps a second thought. I will say the new Addi laceneedles made it a little easier. I didn’t have them for the first stole I did and I did just fine.