systematic desensitization

Two weeks ago Rachel and I ventured into Mood for the very first time, and I left a rattled, anxious mess. Last week, however, I went back–that’s right, exposure therapy is the only way to go. I went with a friend who sews but still considers herself a novice, despite having made several awesome skirts and dresses, which was great because we could explore together and each guide the other a bit (it was her first time to Mood).

At Mood on a gray day (by mintyfreshflavor)

We ultimately didn’t buy anything there, as decision-making was hard. She knew a place on 39th Street that sells patterns–difficult to find in the garment district–so we headed over there. (I’m sorry, but I don’t remember the name of the place; if I figure it out I’ll update this post.) And I bought a dress pattern. Then we went to another store, and I bought fabric. I even went to one final store, by myself, and got a dead-on matching zipper!

i'm going to make a dress! (by mintyfreshflavor)

Happily, you guys gave me some great suggestions for further reading for when I feel ready to dive into cutting. I’ve added many of the sites to my blogroll already and am slowly becoming desensitized to my irrational fear of sewing.

Books

Sites

Enjoy!

more coloury fabrics (by mintyfreshflavor)

23 Responses to systematic desensitization

1. earthchick says:

Yay! The fabric and pattern you chose look awesome – I can’t wait to see the finished product!! And you have a great list of resource books and sites assembled. Looks like you’re all ready to go. Go, Minty, go!!

[p.s. One more online resource - the Sew Obsessed group on Ravelry - come on over!]

2. gleek says:

very cute fabric and pattern! i have had a hankering for sewing lately as well. i want to make a skirt that FITS me. hard to find lately. i wish you luck! my only suggestion: measure twice, cut once. know your true size before you get down to business.

3. jennie says:

thanks for the links. ever since i got my sewing machine fixed a few weeks ago, i’ve been hankering to get back to stitching. but for now, i wait. only one craft at a time until the diss is done.

cute, cute fabric and pattern. so springy — it gives one hope!

4. abby says:

I like your exposure therapy idea. I’m sure that I’d freak if entering a fabric store nicer than a JoAnn’s, too. The colors are overwhelming and wonderful!

5. Jennygirl says:

I think your first dress choice looks good. Not that I am a sewer, but it looks relatively easy which I think is good for any first project with arts and crafts. Plus I like the fabric and color.. Consider it karma that you found a matching zipper, btw.

6. Heather says:

A rattled, anxious mess? That’s my general mind-set in any new retail niche experience…thanks for those sewing links, I’m slowly getting the courage to try it again.

7. Barri says:

The novice sewer here… It was Paron!

I am so excited to see the dress in action. And the zipper is perfect.

Still dreaming of the patterned silk. I may need to go back President’s Day to go pick it up…

8. Nell says:

Great pattern!

I think of fabric stores the same way I used to think of yarn stores when I first started knitting. The whole thing was overwhelming. Repeated exposure is key!

9. Nic says:

All those fabrics, and so little time! I love your choice of first pattern and fabric. Enjoy. I started to learn how to make clothes about 18 months ago, and decided the best way for me to gain confidence was to take a course, so I enrolled at my local adult education college. It really worked for me as you had others around you learning, all bringing different skills with them and an experienced seamstress to teach and guide you through things too.

10. Mom says:

I love the shots of the fabric rolls. I like the fabric you picked for your dress, it’s going to be very cute. Measure twice, cut once :)

What a cute dress pattern! What cute fabric! Errr…what a cute list of sewing resources! Actually, that may be helpful to me once I progress beyond gluing fabric rectangles to styrofoam (which, apparently, is a brand name, as my Firefox spellchecker wants me to capitalize it).

12. brenda in toronto says:

like gleek wrote, “know your true size before you get down to business.” so true. the sizes listed on patterns tend to be different than what you’d go by in a store, so measure, measure, measure!

13. Goldie says:

Sew cute! heh. Definitely make sure your pattern reflects the right size for you (they differ sooooo much) and measure twice, cut once… whose pattern is it? What pattern #? Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe I’ll be inspired to make my lunatics new dog coats!

14. LaBean says:

I’m a little late on this. I don’t know anything about Paron, but I was thinking you meant Daytona Braids and Trimming? They sell patterns too, in the back on the first floor. I bought two yesterday.