fast fingers

Apologies in advance, guys. I just got a scanner, so I suspect I’m going to start scanning everything in sight . . .

We’ll start with this totally off-the-cuff fingerpainting that I made in college. I’m not sure why we were fingerpainting—some kind of hall-bonding activity? I think it was my senior year. At least, I remember having the picture hanging up that year. This was one of those things that I threw together without thinking, but when I saw the end result, I was totally proud of myself.

fingerpainted forest (by mintyfreshflavor)

After all these years, I still really love this “painting.” I think if I sat down and tried to paint a true painting, I wouldn’t like it as much as I like this. Do you have things that you created on the fly but like better than some of your best efforts?

14 Responses to fast fingers

1. Lucy says:

I’ve had the sudden urge to knit quick cabled fingerless mitts and I love them! Perhaps even more than patterns I’ve wanted to knit for ages. Possibly because when I do get around to knitting them, they’re not as interesting as I would have hoped.

2. Brill says:

Yep, that was senior year. Some nonsense hall-bonding activity with our somewhat beside-the-point HA. (Whom I like as a person, but she was pretty much a wash as an HA.)

3. earthchick says:

Wow – that’s really great! I hope you have it hanging somewhere (if not, you should).

And what a sweetie your mom is – to not only read your blog, but comment!

4. lolly says:

i love it – that intense green is really nice.
    i took some drawing classes in high school and was always more impressed with my little “on the fly” things than the ones i worked on for days… that ability to draw left me though :(

so, new scanner means more things like this? love it!

5. Dani says:

I LOVE this painting…I swear, I would pay money for it!!! There is something so natural and organic about it…maybe a result of your spontaneity. I usually play with food in the kitchen but your painting is inspiring me to buy some paint and play on canvas…..thanks for the inspiration, and if that picture is not being displayed somewhere, you better get crackin’!

6. Specs says:

What a cool painting!

I’ve got some black fingerless mitts that I made years ago (long before the blog) and I wear them all the time, despite having more well-constructed ones I’ve made recently. They just fit so well and they were the first thing I made without a pattern, so I’m still carrying around some residual pride for those things.

7. meg says:

I had to laugh when I saw this post- I am a painter (an artist), and *all* of my best paintings are the ones that I make quickly and with no pressure.