purl moved!

Purl actually moved a few months ago, but today was my first time to the new location. And I totally bought yarn. And fabric. It’s just too easy now that they’ve got both in the same place!

purl soho

Not that it was particularly difficult to shop for yarn and fabric before, with two stores just a few doors down from each other on Sullivan St. But the new space, on Broome between Mercer and Greene in Soho, with its tall ceilings and lots of room, was a delightful change. I stopped in around 4pm on a Thursday and was pleased to see half a dozen shoppers making purchases and browsing the shelves.

purl soho

purl soho

Purl has always been my one of my favorite yarn stores in the city, mostly because it has a lot of yarn to choose from, the staff don’t make me feel uncomfortable, and they have a range of types of yarn (from luxury to workhorse). One of the staff definitely recognizes me as a regular, so it had become my “place.” It’s in a great location, too, being generally on my way from, well, anywhere and home. By comparison, Knitty City, which I do like a lot as a store, is way the heck up on the Upper West Side (and I am never on the Upper West Side), Brooklyn General is in a more out-of-the-way area of Brooklyn for me to get to (and there’s no reason to head to that neighborhood otherwise), and other shops have reputations for irascible owners or paltry selection. Even the Point, whose closure I mourn with the rest of the New York knitters, was really only appealing to me because of the cafe—I pretty much never found¬†anything to buy there.

the new purl

The new Purl seems to have everything from the old location, along with the sewing store’s inventory. I wouldn’t say that it seems as if they have expanded their stock significantly, though I’m sure they have more than they did. I like that they’ve kept things clustered together the way they used to, too, with wools together, cottons together, Koigu together, and luxury fibers in the same area. Jason and I made a beeline for the expensive wall, pulling out various pretty skeins and petting them to find the ones we liked best. Of course, the one I wanted was at the verrrry top of a shelf, out of both of our reach, but the way the yarn glowed! I knew it was the one I needed: silk cashmere in an ivory-like shade.

jade & sapphire silk cashmere

It’s going to be a shawl for one of my best friends for her wedding day, this October. I’m thrilled that she asked me to make her something, but I need her to settle on a pattern already! Time is running out. She’s expressed interest in everything from Echo Flower Shawl to Leaf & Acorn (why yes, I did teach her how to browse Ravelry) and given how different those are, I’m not sure how to help her decide. Plus, both are lovely and would be fun to knit!

259.the new purl

And speaking of weddings—why is everyone I know getting married or having a baby right now? didn’t we go thru this like 7 years ago?—the first family wedding is coming next summer, and I’ve decided to make my cousin and his future wife a quilt. I mean, the fact that I’ve never made a queen-size quilt even for myself shouldn’t prevent me from making one for someone else, now, right? So anyway, I bought the last fabric I need for their gift—Kona Slate. Did you SEE the Kona wall there? A larger selection than City Quilter has (looks like about 100 bolts at City Quilter, 120 at Purl), which is great—when I was trying to get more of two specific colors a few months ago, those were two that City Quilter of course did NOT have, but I saw them here at Purl.

Purl is going to keep me well stocked in supplies for all my gifty crafting, I’m sure!

20 Responses to purl moved!

1. Miko says:

looks like a very productive trip! love that you’re blogging again but it’s a bit weird not to just see all the photos on Flickr! ;-)

2. Maritza says:

The new location looks fabulous! I can’t wait for my next trip to NY because I *need* to go to Purl. It was my favorite yarn shop for the very reasons you’ve stated.

3. Oiyi says:

I can’t believe you haven’t been to the new location yet! I love their new space. Tomo and our other knitter friends have gone there several times including their grand opening party. It was a lot of fun. Too bad I was on a yarn diet at the time.

4. sam says:

that’s so funny that you mention this now – I’m going to new york tomorrow to visit my friend and I was wondering where purl moved! I’ve never had luck with yarn stores in the city in the past, so I’m guessing purl will up the expectations.

5. kelly says:

yay! i love that you’re blogging with more frequency these days. Purl looks amazing. I actually walked right past it last time I was in the city, but didn’t have time to run in. These pictures are making me kick myself for that decision.

6. JanieB says:

Feel like I need to plan a holiday to New York. ..

Wow what a feast of a store. Thanks for the regular blogs it is so great having you back in the blogosphere.

7. leo says:

OH MY GOD that looks like such a huge improvement. I went in the old Purl once a while back when I was visiting NYC and while there was pretty yarn, it was reallllly awkward trying to navigate my way around the table in the middle of that tiny room, where there were like 5 people sitting.

8. Taureta says:

Hi, it’a so good you’re posting again!!! I missed you so much!! You haven’t visited Purl until now??…I can’t believe it!! i visited in May and I had to cross the ocean;-))

9. Angelia Batson says:

So nice to have you back in blogland!

Just a word about the Echo Flower Shawl. I knit it in July and when I needed some help and contacted to designer, she told me to finda KAL and basically wouldn’t answer my 1 question. Mine is posted on my Ravelry page.

10. Meg says:

Whoa, I did not know they moved. Thanks for the info! Love that shop, and excited to know they have more space! Must make a visit soon…

11. Sylvia says:

I really like Purl…and Annie and Co on Madison. You might check it out. Employees were super helpful when I was there and they have a great selection…not so crowded either.

12. Sarah says:

I’ve been an avid Purl shopper for a couple of years now (it all started in undergrad, and now here I am a workin’ lady), and it’s lovely to see the store inside. You know, like in big New York City, which to a girl from Alabama is big potatoes (apples?) indeed.

I loved the links to the shawls. My best friend is getting married in May, and that would be a nice little project to give to her. I’m unofficial maid of honor (neither one of us was a traditional bride), so a pretty extra like a handmade shawl might be just what she needs.