7 things

I got tagged for the “7 Random Facts” meme by KnitAnnie (who is not Annie Knits; don’t confuse them!), and you know what, it couldn’t have come at a better time, because I just have nothing to say otherwise! I’ve been too busy to post or knit. I’m trying to think of things that you guys most likely don’t know already about me–it’s tough!

1. My parents both have security clearance for their jobs, so I do not know what they do. No, really.
  2. I majored in physics in college, and was intending to go to grad school and get my PhD, in order to do nuclear physics. My senior thesis research was published in the Journal of Chemical Physics. But I veered off on a different course.
  3. I have what I jokingly call “color aphasia,” but which probably doesn’t have a name. I will uncannily refer to colors by the wrong name all the time. I will see green but call it red. I’ll ask someone to give me a blue pen, and I’ll call it orange. I don’t consistently misname colors (that is, blue isn’t always called orange), but I do it all the time.
  4. I won the Arts Program Prize in college. This is not a huge award, but it’s given to a graduating senior at the end of the year, and it was a bit of an anomaly that a non-art major won it. I did printmaking, and I really miss it. One goal for this weekend is to go through my portfolio and think about getting some stuff framed.
  5. I became a foodie only after I began living alone, right out of college. At first, I was a lazy chef, but then a neighbor of my parents was talking with me and got all excited at the idea of living alone. “You get to cook just for you! You don’t have to think about what anyone else likes! It’s liberating!” Within a year, he’d have left his wife, but I had been inspired by his words. I subscribed to all the cooking magazines, cooked elaborate meals just for me every night, and baked goodies for the office. I sometimes think (especially after having edited several food reference books) that I know everything about food (which is not true, of course, but when I’ve lost interest, it feels that way). I’ve been too busy lately to devote any time to cooking, but I know it’ll come back.
  6. I’m a total slob. People think I’m neat because I’m a perfectionist normally, but I leave clutter everywhere, and like Megan I generate piles of clothing. My ex hated this quality, and I do sometimes feel guilty that he spent our many years together cleaning up after me.
  7. I don’t believe in god and I generally fashion myself a skeptic. However, more and more I’m getting into some slightly woo-woo spiritual views and beliefs. For instance, on Monday I was on my way to yoga and when I got into the elevator to get to class I didn’t even have to look at the guy in there with me to just KNOW he was the instructor (who I’d not yet taken class with). He didn’t say a word, didn’t do anything but move to one side of the elevator, but his energy overwhelmed me. I knew that I would love his class, and I did. There’s something to that feeling, and I am finding it more and more undeniable. So I believe in the energy and spirituality of individual folks, I guess.

There you have it! I kind of hate tagging people, but I also hate when people don’t tag, so I’ll toss out some names, and you can write up some stuff or not, it’s up to you. Ashley, Caitlyn, Laura, Karma, Coleen, Katie, and Jennie–if you’re game . . .

And because it’s nearly Friday, some Eye Candy!

central park

24 Responses to 7 things

1. Elinor says:

Interesting… things about Minty we never knew. I like that you have no idea what your parents do. What kind of a job does a printmaker and physics major once bound for nuclear physics work? I’m intrigued. :-)

2. pamela wynne says:

So smart and talented! I didn’t know the printmaking thing — now I want to see some of your work! You should post on Flickr when you have it framed and hung.

Also, it is so obvious that your parents are deeply embedded in the jetset world of international espionage. Duh.

3. maryse says:

i’m with pamela — so smart and talented even if you don’t know your colors ;). i’m with you on #7. i get “feelings” from people all of the time. and what happens to me is that out of the blue, i’ll get very strong vibes about people i haven’t seen or heard from in months and sometimes years and then “poof” there they are!

4. Annie says:

Heh heh, I get such a kick out of this “7 Things” stuff. You’re a slob? Really? I never would have guessed. I hate to admit it, but since you did…I’m a cluttered sort as well. (I really have a hard time typing the word “slob”)

5. Liz K says:

You are (were) a PHYSICIST? Holy crap. I took one week of physics in high school and was encouraged to drop it in favor of anthropology instead.

6. Jessica says:

I can’t believe that is central park. Amazing.

I’m with you on the spiritual but not god thing. Yoga taught me alot about divinity in every living thing, and I like that idea.

Ha! Secret Agent Pepper-parents.

Re: the perfectionist/slob thing, I actually saw a whole Oprah about that once–I don’t normally watch Oprah, but seriously, I couldn’t look away because it was abut this woman who had like 16 pets and just let them poop all over her floors and then LEFT IT THERE. Anyway, the psychologist they had on to deal with her said that perfectionists are often the worst procrastinators because they–by which I mean we–are secretly afraid to start something that they can’t get absolutely 100% perfect. And since your house will never be perfectly clean unless you swing around to the bleach & lye side of the OCD cleaning continuum, well, it’s better just to be messy. So there’s my pop psychology for the day. It’s actually a lovely justification technique, I’ve found. But then, I don’t have dog poop on my floors.

8. Lolly says:

I really enjoyed reading your list. Some things that I knew, and many that I didn’t. I am very interested in hearing more about this spirituality thing… maybe next time we get together! …and no tag for Lolly? no love for me? :)

9. naomi says:

So…how do you do with those things where one is supposed to name the text color rather than the color-word that’s written? Do you have the same speed as other people but with different colors?

10. Lynne E. says:

Hey, you’re one intelligent lady! It’s a shame you dropped out of physics–one of my regrets is that I did NOT major in physics in college–but if you hadn’t veered off course, we probably wouldn’t be reading your excellent blog now.

I love these things. You are a very impressive one. Printmaking, I knew there was a reason I liked you! I am with Pamela, share lady, share!

12. Micki says:

Interesting! Actually, I identify with a lot of what you wrote. In college I majored in biology, and now I work in…publishing (non-scientific). It’s strange how life works out.

13. joy says:

maybe there will be a movie someday like mr. and mrs. smith about your parents, only it will be mr. and mrs. mint.

and as a math major who struggled just to pass physics (i could do the numbers part, it was the physics part i had a hard time with) for a degree requirement, i salute you.

14. Heather says:

Love love love your list. I am married to a Nuclear Physicist/spiritual skeptic who claims that physicists are the most likely of all scientists to have be attracted to spirituality…;)

15. isel says:

Another interesting list of things. I am fascinated! From knowing very little about you to all THAT! Wow.

I am with you on 6 & 7. Ditto and ditto.

16. Num Num says:

The physicists I know believe in a “force,” though they don’t say it’s a Star Wars Force. And they don’t like talking about it. I think they practice physics because they want to know what that force is.

Another incredible picture of the park. I love it.

I’m glad you’re doing what you want to do. I have faith in you.
    Is that spiritual?

Wow, you’re so freakin’ accomplished. My random things list would be, like, “I always brush my teeth in the same order” or something equally lame. You’re like, I just barely missed being a nuclear physicist, world class chef, spiritual guru, and world-renowned artist.

Sigh.

Wow! I seriously thought I was the only one with color aphasia! I was reading your blog for the knitting, but who knew I’d learn that I’m not crazy! I call green orange and orange green about five times a year… I KNOW what color it is; I just call it by the wrong name.

Glad I’m not alone :)