snapping turtle skirt, finally done!

Time to knit this skirt: 2 weeks.

Time to weave in the (many) ends: 2.5 hours.

Time between finishing the knitting and finishing the finishing: 4 months.

snapping turtle skirt (by mintyfreshflavor)

When I left for Singapore for Christmas, I brought my skeins of Tess Designer Yarns Superwash Merino, my size 8 needles, and a photocopy of the pattern. My goal was to finish it while on vacation. As it turne dout, I finished up the knitting while on my flights back, and I even went so far as to block it in a jet-lagged hazed at 3:45 the morning I returned home.

I chalked it up to a success, because I had finished the hard part! But then it sat. In truth, it sat in a crumpled heap at the bottom of my closet. But finally, this past weekend, I got my act together and wove in all the ends. Unfortunately, I was about 4 days too late to have Lolly photograph the FO, which really would have been awesome—if only because exactly one year ago I finished my Shocking Skirt and she photographed it for me. We were on a photo-taking rampage last week anyway! Oh well, I made do by myself in the subway.

Snapping Turtle Skirt
Knitting Nature, by Norah Gaughan
Yarn: Tess Designer Yarns Superwash Merino
Skeins: 1.25
Size: 34″
Modifications: Rather than the zipper, which I think would have been ultimately nonfunctional, I attached each successive row of hexagons continuously so there would be no seam, and then instead of the little rolled waistband, I knit for 9 rows and made a casing for some 1/2-inch elastic.

More skirts are in my future—hopefully more than once a year!

I definitely love the skirt, though it hugs every curve. Luckily, I like my curves.

snapping turtle skirt (by mintyfreshflavor)

62 Responses to snapping turtle skirt, finally done!

1. Wanett says:

WOW! I don’t know which is more awesome, the skirt, or these photos! Great job on this one. It may even make a skirt knitter out of me.

2. gleek says:

go lolly on the photoshoot! and good lord, you are convincing me that knit skirts are the bomb! really this one and last year’s are so gorgeous, how could i not knit one for myself?

3. Bertha says:

Dude, there are few people I’ve seen that can pull off a knitted skirt, and you are definitely among those few (I, sadly, am not!). It looks fantastic on you!

4. chrispy says:

Beautiful. I too love the background in your photoshoot.

Everytime, I see your snapping turtle skirt pop up, I realize that I need to figure out what yarn to use and start on it. I love this skirt and I love wearing knit skirts.

5. Lolly says:

E, this is amazing! I think it is my favorite FO yet! (do I say that every time?) I only wish we could have done the photos earlier, but hey, you managed very well on your own. I love the way these look! and your skirt is pure awesomeness!

6. Liz K says:

Oh, it is shooper-shexy! I just made a knitted skirt, and I want a million more.

(going to add more Tess to my MDSW shopping list!)

7. orata says:

This skirt looks awesome! I totally want one. And your pictures are fabulous–love the one with the train texture on the left of you, plain blur on the right. How much ease, positive or negative, did you make this with? Do you have any tips on yarn selection, gauge, etc. aside from what you’ve posted above?

8. Num Num says:

Beautiful and interesting. the best thing is that you chose to use
    the subway train as background. Mmm, movement, style.
    You’ve got IT, girl, whatever the definition of “IT” is!

9. Ana says:

The skirt is great and the photo is great as well. I don´t know which one is “greater” but I guess that would be the skirt because you can get to wear it as often as you want. Well, you can look at the photo as often as you want, I guess…

Anyway, I´m totally a skirt-girl and am looking forward to having enough knitting experience to delve into this pattern!

10. erin says:

Oh my goodness, this is such a gorgeous skirt!!! I love your photos too. Especially the second one, the skirt looks so good on you! And you kitted it superfast too :)

11. Steph says:

That is beautiful! I love how the colors remind me of shells of a turtle, aptly named. I wonder if I could make a diamondback terrapin skirt?

12. sulafaye says:

You’re killing me! My shocking skirt has been finished for about two months now, and is finally blocking as we speak.

Now I just might have to make this one too. ;)

13. Elizabeth says:

I’m going to echo everyone else and say WOW! That is truly, fabulously gorgeous. The casing idea is a much better one than the zipper, in my opinion, and it fits you beautifully.

14. Annie says:

Now that’s a good use of variegated yarn. Looks great! Nice photos too. what kind of camera do you have? I’m in the market for a new camera.

15. Ava says:

I love this skirt, and it looks great on you! Love the photo too. Did you just sit the camera on a ledging and use the self-timer? And you placed your handbag where? You are a brave soul!

16. Katie says:

That is the cutest knit skirt I’ve ever seen and it looks fabulous on you! Great work with it. You are the queen of knit skirts.

17. yaiAnn says:

LOVE THIS! I have to agree that this is probably the best knitted skirt I’ve seen and I’m close to actually considering even knitting a skirt. I love the green, too!

18. Melinda says:

That skirt is gorgeous, and it is equally gorgeous on you! I’ve never liked knitted skirts before. Now I like knitted skirts made and worn by you.