After I finished sewing my robe, I had enough fabric leftover to make myself a Scout Tee! (Or, I carefully conserved fabric as I cut the robe so that I could eke out something of substance.) I wear this all the time, I love it! I even wore it on a short business trip a week after I made it, before I’d even taken photos.
Not much more to say about it, as I’m slowly getting better at making them. I cut a lot of bias binding in a white cotton lawn so that I now have it as a go-to for future projects. It’d be so nice to make coordinating or otherwise special bindings, but I find making bias tape to be so tedious, and feels like such a waste of fabric, that I feel satisfied with a small stash of white. Since it isn’t visible anyway, who cares?
As always, I can say I learned a lot in the making of this shirt, the Biscayne Blouse from Hey June. My biggest lesson was not to size something down willy-nilly because you think it’s coming out too big!
For this, I cut a generous size on purpose. But then it seemed impossibly wide so I just winged shaving fabric off the sides. I took off too much, so it’s more snug at the bust than I wanted, and the shoulders are wider than I’d want. (Proving I should’ve just cut a smaller size to get narrower shoulders.) Oh well!
However, I feel pretty damn good about the button placket—that came together very easily and cleanly. I will definitely make this again in a different, less see-through fabric, and cut at a size that will better fit in the shoulders! The pattern was very easy to follow and I executed the sewing in an evening, if memory serves. I wore this pretty often over the summer. It got its debut exploring the coastline in San Diego!