How very apt that the word finished is perfectus in Latin (at least, it is according to the Internet). Because my earflap hat is perfect! I really can’t tell you just how much work went into the earflaps, but I will say there is earflap detritus all over my couch. I think I knit three or four different ones before the right flap came into being.
Roman Earflap Hat
Pattern: To come! I will be writing it up in full soon.
Yarn: KnitPicks Merino Style in Nutmeg
Needles: US 6
Started: 8:30 am Saturday, September 22
Finished: 7:45 am Monday, September 24
Nitpicky notes: As I alluded to above, I was persnickety about the flaps. The eventual winners were knit using the double knitting technique so that they would lay perfectly flat and also be toasty-warm.
Earlier I mentioned my attention to the brim, which I worked with the yarn held double, for thickness and warmth. I chose the stitch pattern out of Barbara Walker’s first treasury; it is based on garter stitch so it creates a dense fabric (also good for warmth!).
I very deliberately decreased by a multiple of seven. I decided that an odd number would be the most aesthetically pleasing, and I was convinced 7 was the perfect balance. I think I made the right decision on that.
The last step was the pompoms–which I put more thought into than you might have suspected. (Sizing was the issue–I know I like dense pompoms.) I hope Liz likes the hat! I can’t wait for the weather to turn so she can start wearing it. In the meantime, I’m making one for me.